A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Monday 23 March 2015

World Vision and other aid agencies reject Australia's refugee deal with Cambodia


"Both Australian and Cambodian governments recognise the value of doing this work with the involvement of key international stakeholders, including UNHCR": Peter Dutton. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

The Sydney Morning Herald
Sarah Whyte

International aid agencies based in Cambodia have rejected the Abbott government's resettlement deal, saying it  is not appropriate for a country that has been accused of human rights abuses and has no refugee resettlement experience.

Fairfax Media understands immigration officials Greg Kelly and Pilar Davidson, based in the Australian embassy, visited a number of non-government agencies after the Abbott government offered $40 million in development aid to Cambodia in return for a refugee resettlement deal in September last year.

In the meetings, it is understood officials wanted to get a greater understanding of the country and its development focus.

The Cambodian national director of World Vision, Jason Evans, confirmed the meeting, saying the officials had approached the NGO and that he was aware that a number of international NGOs were also approached.

 "We do trust that the Australian government is doing its due diligence, however, we are concerned about the precedent that this sets, as this type of deal is not something that the development community would support," he said.

Mr Evans said that World Vision, along with the "vast majority of international NGOs" were of the strong opinion that the deal was not in the interests of Cambodian citizens and may add "additional strains on a country still experiencing high degrees of poverty".


A senior advisor in the development sector told Fairfax Media that many international NGOs had also refused to facilitate the deal when approached by the Australian government.

"None would go near it, particularly given the bruising [Save The Children] has gone through recently," the advisor said.

A large number of local NGOs have also rejected the deal, saying Cambodia's Hun Sen government needed to fix the country's domestic issues including access to healthcare, education and employment.

The executive director of the NGO Forum on Cambodia, Tek Vannara said the government didn't have the capacity to solve its own issues. 
"The majority of the NGOs do not support this," he said. 

The Australian government has said that it was developing a number of partnerships with a "range of NGOs" to establish support for any asylum seeker who chose to resettle in Phnom Penh.

"Both Australian and Cambodian governments recognise the value of doing this work with the involvement of key international stakeholders, including UNHCR," a spokeswoman for Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said.

However, a UNHCR spokeswoman Vivian Tan has denied involvement, saying: "We have no role in implementing it."

Last month, the International Organisation of Migration agreed to facilitate the deal, providing that refugees can stay and work in the country's capital. It will also provide services to any refugees who voluntarily take up the offer from Nauru.

The IOM argued the deal was in the "best interests of the refugees" and offered new options to them in a country that is experiencing significant economic and development growth.

A Cambodian delegation will meet with refugees on Nauru, the spokeswoman for Mr Dutton said. This month he told local media in Cambodia that he expected about five families to take up the offer.

Sarah Whyte is on a journalism fellowship in Cambodia with the Asia Pacific Journalism Centre.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two cents comments. Lesson to learn, or exponential the problem of HR.

Anonymous said...

I Never believed i was ever going to be HIV Negative again,Dr Uroko has given me reasons to be happy, i was HIV positive for 2years and all the means i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about Dr on how he was able to cure someone from HIV, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that Dr Uroko can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by Dr Uroko, i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HIV Negative, friends you can reach Dr Uroko on any treatment for any Disease he is the one only i can show you all up to, reach him on (atitilovespell@gmail.com.com).

Unknown said...

[b]DR Uroko is the only Dr who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i could’nt find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come accross a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa Uroko, i never knew it was alll because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask me, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strenght that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing Dr Uroko gave to me from the ancient part of africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at:atitilovespell@gmail.com thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter. or call him now on +2347031362391

vanessa said...

My names is Vanessa from UK, I want to thank Dr Uroko for the herbal HIV medicine he gave to me and my Husband, I was suffering from HIV when I gave birth to my daughter and that was how my daughter got the sickness indirect from me, I got this Dr email address on the internet when I was reading on HIV heard new, then I saw a comment of a woman called Elizabeth of how this man cure her from cancer disease and he cure for HIV/Aids, but to God be the glory that I am healed with the herbal medicine that Dr, Uroko also gave to me when I contacted him. I want to use this medium to tell everyone that the solution to our hiv sickness has come, so I will like you all to contact this great healer on his via email address: atitilovespell@gmail.com," with him all your pains will be gone, I am really happy today that I and my daughter and husband are now hiv Negative and really shot of worlds, we are now negative after the use of his medicine, my doctor confirm it.
once I say a big thank to you Dr Uroko for healing hands upon my life and my family, I say may God continue to bless you abundantly and give you more power to keep helping those that want your help in their lives. email him now he is waiting to receive you atitilovespell@gmail.com.com or call him +2349051208634